Air fryers are taking the country by storm because their high-heat engines are good for cooking so many kinds of foods, many of which you'd never even consider frying in the first place.
Essentially a small convection oven, an air fryer works by circulating hot air up to 400 degrees around your food, transforming it into crispy perfection without all the oil or butter you'd normally need.
So, what can you make in an air fryer? The possibilities are limitless and you can use an air fryer to make comfort food favorites that are normally deep-fried, sauteed, baked, or grilled. Whether you've craving onion rings, French toast, or cheesy loaded potatoes.
If you haven't purchased an air fryer yet, the first decision to make is arguably the most important: size. They're often measured in quarts, the smallest being around 2.75; the largest, about 6.
Below are delicious air fryer recipes to show you how to make the most of this amazingly versatile kitchen tool.
Instant Pot Salmon with Garlic Potatoes and Greens — Making a perfect salmon filet can be difficult. Cook it for too long, and it becomes chewy and rubbery. Cook it for not long enough, and there are portions that are still raw. With this recipe, you’ll get a wonderfully cooked fish every time.
Pressure Cooker Vietnamese Caramel Salmon — The only thing better than salmon filet is salmon with a Vietnamese cuisine twist. This recipe packs in distinct Asian flavors that are sure to wow any dinner crowd.
Instant Pot Fish Stew — Sometimes, there’s nothing better than stew on a cold evening. This savory fish stew is the perfect dish to help you warm up, while packing in tons of nutrients
An air fryer is a great option for anyone who craves the crispness of french fries, chicken nuggets, and melted crisped mozzarella sticks but wants to avoid the guilt and calories from the extra oil and fat the deep fryer or seems to sadly miss the mark when baked in the oven.
If you want to use olive oil in your air fryer, avoid extra-virgin varieties, which have smoke points between 350⁰ and 410⁰F, and go with regular (or light-tasting) varieties that have smoke points between 390⁰ and 470⁰F.
To make sure your items are cooking evenly, give the basket a few shakes during cooking. You can keep the air fryer running and just remove the basket without any problems. This is especially useful for small items that you want to crisp all over, like fries or small roasted veggies. A few shakes should be enough, and it'll help ensure everything turns out crisp and consistent.
For super-messy items like wings coated in a sticky sauce, you can place them on a sheet of tinfoil or parchment paper on top of the air fryer basket to make cleanup easier. The force of the hot air circulating can cause the sheets to fly around, so just make sure the food is heavy enough to weigh it down.
Pressure Cooker New York Cheesecake — Think making a cheesecake is difficult? Think again. This Instant Pot creation provides a set-it-and-forget-it recipe that will let you enjoy creamy cheesecake without doing much work at all.
Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake — The chocoholic in you will love this runny lava cake that’s filled with chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. Oh, and it’s all cooked in an Instant Pot, so you’ll barely have any post-baking clean-up to do.
Instant Pot Cupcakes — Got a kid’s birthday party coming up? Planning to contribute something at your community bake sale? Make these delicious cupcakes without turning on the oven once.
Compared to oil-fried foods, cooking in an air fryer is definitely going to come out healthier than deep-fried foods.
But limiting air fryers to just cooking the usual oil-fried foods is a missed opportunity for cooking foods quick, easy, and healthfully.
Cooking foods like broiled or baked fish, chicken, vegetables and even cakes and muffins can all be done in the air fryer too.
Items that render off a lot of fat (such as burgers, bacon, or meatballs) might cause your air fryer to start smoking, because of the fat that collects in the air fryer pan and heats up. If this happens, you can turn off the machine, drain the fat, and start cooking again, Or you can add water to the tray before you start cooking to prevent it from happening. The water will prevent the grease from getting too hot and smoking.
The direct comparison of deep‐frying and air‐frying technologies with different vegetable oils shows that air‐frying process presents health benefits for consumers, with less fat ingestion and less fat oxidation, particularly when using olive oil, but also economic and ecological advantages due to reduced amount of oil used and no dripping oils after frying.
If you add too many items to your air fryer basket, the air won't be able to circulate properly and your food won't get crispy. If you're making a large amount of something, cook items in batches instead of all at once. This advice is especially important for fries, diced veggies, and other small items you want to get super crispy.
Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili — There’s something really satisfying about chili, and you can enjoy the deliciousness even when you’re a vegetarian. This chili is the perfect savory meal on a cold evening or at your neighborhood chili cookout.
Instant Pot Chicken Stew with Farro — Who says stew has to have beef? Swap out the beef for chicken by following this healthy recipe. The addition of farro adds even more nutrients to this delicious dish.
Best Ever Instant Pot Beef Stew — Beef can be hard to cook on the stovetop. In this Instant Pot recipe, you’ll get tender, fall-off-the-bone beef every time. Let the Instant Pot appliance do the work for you
Our Favorite New Gadget: The Air Fryer! Have you gotten your hands on an Air Fryer yet? It's the "skinny way" to cook crispy meals in no time at all. Media Chef, Erin Woodbury, gives Chalene Johnson a tutorial on the SkinnyTaste Air Fryer. The two of them make French Fries and Crispy Chickpeas too (and discuss all the recipes we've made so far, like crunchy chicken and muffins)! Learn why we love this kitchen gadget, how it saves time and how it's possible to cook crispy dishes with little to no oil. Unlike other kitchen tools we like (but that can be a little fussy and intimidating for novices), the Air Fryer is super easy every single time. You really can't mess it up! It's also a snap to clean, which we also love, because, hey-we know you're a busy girl!
This programmable countertop multicooker earned a spot in my kitchen. If you get one you’ll probably start relying on it more than any other cooking appliance. The specific functions of your Instant Pot will vary based on which model you purchase, but these are the basic programs that will be present in most models and this is the model I purchased. Below are a few models available:
- Slow Cooker
- Pressure Cooker (most models let you cook on high or low pressure, or choose specific pressure setting like poultry or meat/stew)
- Rice Cooker
- Yogurt Maker
Many models also come with additional programs, including egg maker, cake maker, and sterilizer. Depending on the size and type of your model, you can insert certain types of dishes directly into the appliance, including cupcake molds or springform pans. You can also use aluminum foil to separate certain ingredients in your instant pot, which allows you to cook veggies and meats at the same time for recipes like fajitas
When using electrical appliances, basic safety precautions should always be followed, including the following:
1. READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS.
2. Do not touch hot surfaces. Use handles or knobs. Use oven mitts or potholders.
3. To protect against electric shock do not immerse cord, plugs, or appliance in water or other liquid. 4. This appliance is not intended for use by persons (including children) with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities, or lack of experience and knowledge unless they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance by a person responsible for their safety. 5. Children should be supervised to ensure that they do not play with the appliance.
6. Unplug from outlet when not in use and before cleaning. Allow cooling before putting on or taking off parts, and before cleaning the appliance.
7. Do not operate any appliance with a damaged cord or plug or after the appliance malfunctions, or has been damaged in any manner. Bring it to a qualified technician for examination, repair or electrical or mechanical adjustment.
8. The use of accessory attachments not recommended by the appliance manufacturer may cause injuries.
9. Do not use outdoors.
10. Do not let cord hang over the edge of table or counter, or touch hot surfaces.
11. Do not place on or near a hot gas or electric burner, or in a heated oven.
12. Extreme caution must be used when moving an appliance containing hot oil or other hot liquids. 13. To disconnect, turn both the timer dial and temperature dial to OFF. Then remove the plug from the wall outlet.
14. Do not use the appliance for other than intended use.
15. Make sure the frying basket is locked into the front of the drawer – both frying basket handle tabs must be fully inserted into the notches on the top of the basket drawer.
16. Always make sure frying basket drawer is fully closed, with frying basket handle locked securely in the drawer, while Air Fryer is in operation.
WARNING: Air Fryer will not operate unless the frying basket drawer is fully closed. CAUTION: After hot air frying, the frying basket and frying basket drawer and the cooked foods are hot. Extreme caution must be used when handling the hot Air Fryer basket/drawer.
FOR HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY
- The Best Instant Pots of 2019
- Create more healthy meals with the 11-in-1 Instant Pot Duo Crisp and Air Fryer
- What is an Instant Pot? Here’s everything you need to know
- Which Instant Pot should you buy? All of the models compared
- Instant Pot launches 10 new multi-functional space-saving cooking appliances