How to Use Mix
From a purely mechanical standpoint, it’s easy to use Mix. I’ll get into the advanced techniques and ways to really take advantage of the platform later, but for now, let’s just get you started.
First of all, you need to sign up for Mix. Unfortunately, the window for porting over a StumbleUpon account is already closed, as of last June. You’ll need to start from scratch.
When you go to Mix.com, you’ll be asked to sign up for the service. You have three options to sign in: Facebook, Twitter, and Google. All three use the typical authentication: simply sign in using one of those profiles and you’ll have your basic information filled out. For obvious reasons, I’d recommend using a business account to sign up, probably a Twitter all things considered. Each option will have specific permissions, so keep that in mind:
- Facebook: Can see your name and profile picture, which are required. Can see your friends, and can see which friends use Mix if they’ve allowed their profile to be visible, which is optional. Can see your birthday and email address, also optional. Cannot post, harvest any other information, or otherwise interact with your account.
- Twitter: Can read your tweets, can see your followers, and can see your email address. Cannot follow, change your profile, post, see DMs, or access your password.
- Google: Can read your name, email address, and profile picture. Cannot access your account in any other way.
Next, you have to pick some starter interests. It will show you some interests with a thumbnail and a brief blurb.
Once you’ve chosen your interest feeds, you’re brought to your main page. This gives you three feeds to choose from.
- For You: A feed of recent content in the categories you choose. You can see a preview of a link and the reason it’s in your feed, like “because of your interest in cooking” or “popular in video games”.
- Following: A feed of content shared by people you follow, who share your interests. You can connect your Facebook or Twitter accounts to share your friends/followers lists to see if any of them are using Mix, or you can follow content curators you like on the platform directly.
- Popular: A feed of content that is trending at the moment, somewhat regardless of your choice in interests. It will show you specific pieces of content, as well as collections you’re not already following.
How do I create a Collection?
To create a new Collection or add a page to an existing Collection while in the app, tap the Add button. Then choose an existing Collection from the list or make up a new one. It's up to you, so get creative.
How do I submit posts to Mix?
You can submit posts from any iOS app using the iOS share menu. Simply select the Mix app from the menu and then follow the same steps you would add a page to a Collection.
You can also submit posts from within the app by using the + icon in the top right of the home screen. Paste in the URL you want to submit and tap Post.
On desktop browsers, we recommend our Mix extension for Chrome or Firefox to quickly add pages from anywhere to your Collections.