Are you stuck in a rut when it comes to school lunches? Are your kids begging you for something other than a sandwich and chips? Maybe you’re looking to save money on school lunches or for your kids to eat healthier.
School Lunch Needs To Be Eaten!
Please pack what your child will eat not just what you want them to eat!
Below are a few recipes to try that I enjoy making for my lunch too.
The Whole Enchilada For Many Kids!
Mexican foods are a favorite of children, and this recipe is no exception.
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
2 cups onions, chopped
2 cups green or red peppers, chopped
1⁄4 cup jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
3 tablespoons cumin, ground
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
2 pounds kidney beans – soaked and cooked until tender
4 large butternut squashes (about 5 pounds each), peeled, seeded, and shredded
24 nine-inch whole-wheat tortillas
1 #10 can mild salsa
1. Sauté garlic in oil until golden.
2. Add onion and cook until caramelized.
3. Add pepper and spices, sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Add beans and squash and mix thoroughly.
5. Place two #8 scoops of the mixture in each tortilla and fold into a purse shape.
6. Place salsa in the pan to cover the bottom, and place enchiladas in the pan then cover with the remaining salsa.
7. Bake at 300 Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Serve.
It's time to send the kiddies back to school, so it's the perfect time to wow your kids with a delicious packed lunch. These recipes aren't your normal sandwiches, but packed with tasty ingredients, leaving your children's classmates super jealous. ____________________________________________________________________
Timestamps: 00:04 - Chicken Bacon Club Shooters 00:53 - Stuffed Crust Pizza Bagels 01:39 - Giant Italian Deli Sandwich 03:57 - Chicken Fajita Wrap Bombs 05:34 - Ham And Cheese French Toast Pockets 06:26 - Fajita Kebabs 07:18 - Crispy Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Cups 08:45 - Muffin Tin Cheeseburgers 09:46 - Philly Cheesesteak Grilled Cheese Sliders 10:51 - Fajita Pasta Salad 11:49 - Pizza Taquitos 12:35 - Chicken Caesar Bacon Pasta Salad 13:36 - Big Mac Triangles 14:35 - Pizza Lasagna Pockets 15:36 - Big Mac Pasta Salad
Easy Snack Wraps
"Easy to make, these bite-sized wraps filled with turkey, cream cheese and veggies are a great way to fill up an appetizer tray - and your hungry guests."
- 12 (10 inches) flour tortillas
- 1 (8 ounces) package cream cheese
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 (6 ounces) package sliced deli-style turkey
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups minced tomato
- Spread cream cheese evenly over the tortillas.
- Top the cream cheese with lettuce leaves.
- Arrange the turkey slices in even layers on top of the lettuce.
- Sprinkle the carrots and tomato over the turkey slices.
- Roll the tortillas into wraps.
- Cut the wraps diagonally into bite-sized pieces.
- Secure with toothpicks.
We’ve pieced together some of our favorite recipes from the channel into one Back to School special – tell us below what your perfect school lunch is?
College and Home Snacks That Will Work Too!
Hot Lunch Ideas (with a Thermos):
Tips for using a thermos: *We recommend a Thermos 10 oz
*Pack hot thermos in the morning (5 hours before it’s eaten)
*Heat the thermos first: add boiling water, cover and let sit 5 min then drain. Heat food until it’s hot. Place into a heated thermos and close tightly with the lid. Food will be warm at lunchtime.
What to put in a hot lunch thermos:
1. Soup (try: chicken noodle soup or Mom’s meatball soup)
2. Pasta (try: chicken alfredo or spaghetti with shrimp)
3. Pilaf/rice, or stir fry (try: creamy chicken and rice, or shrimp fried rice)
4. Leftovers! You can really get creative with a thermos. Just avoid foods with overwhelming aromas (i.e. broccoli and cabbage).
1. Small banana
3. Blueberries, strawberries or other berries
4. Fruit kabob
5. Apricot, apple,.. whatever your kids love
6. Applesauce 7. Peeled clementinesSchool Lunch Veggies:
1. Baby carrots with a ranch in mini cups
2. Cucumber slices
3. Snap peas
4. Salad (romaine, cheese, croutons, side of ranch)
5. Avocado slices (to prevent browning: slice flesh into bite-sized pieces inside the skin, scoop out the flesh and replace into the shell, drizzle with lemon juice, cover tightly with plastic wrap)
Changing up the lunch routine is something you just have to do to keep yourself sane. By bringing in sandwiches each day life eventually starts to look even blander and if you are looking to get into a new health kick yet don’t want sacrifice taste or lose out on enjoying some new and exciting lunches then these lunch ideas might be exactly what you needed.